Download our volunteer brochure
for answers to commonly asked questions.
Volunteer time and talents are tremendous assets to the Humane Society of Southern Arizona. There are many ways in which you can make a difference for the welfare of the animals. Volunteers can "lend a paw" in all of the following areas:
Cat & Dog Enrichment
|Becoming A Volunteer
Interested in becoming a volunteer? We think that's a great idea!
The minimum requirements to become an HSSA volunteer are that you must:
- Care about animal welfare.
- Be able to make a six month commitment to volunteering.
- Be at least 15 years of age to volunteer on your own. Children ages 10 – 14 years old may volunteer, but only under the direct supervision of a parent or adult guardian who is also a volunteer. Children under 15 will not directly handle the shelter animals.
- Have the written permission of a parent or guardian if you are between the ages of 15 -17 years old.
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation. You will be invited to a Volunteer Orientation once your application is approved (see link below). At Volunteer Orientation, you will be asked to submit an orientation fee of $15 per person.
- Attend any additional trainings required for your specific volunteer area(s). This will be explained at Volunteer Orientation.
- Be willing to demonstrate a positive, customer-oriented attitude when dealing with the public as well as a collaborative, teamwork approach when working with staff and other volunteers.
As almost all volunteer opportunities involving customer service or direct contact with the animals will require additional training, you will be given a chance to sign up for the additional trainings during the orientation meeting.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT A VOLUNTEER APPLICATION.
Need more information or help? Contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 520.321.3704 ext. 126.